Opportunities for seniors to reinvest in the lives of future generations
Children need strong, consistent relationships with caring adults that help build confidence and life skills. They need extra love, nurturing and understanding. They need Generations, the Porter-Leath sponsored version of the national Foster Grandparent and RSVP programs. Generations helps to fill the gap, bringing children in need together with seniors in a mutually-beneficial experience.
- One-on-one emotional support of disadvantaged children
- Tutoring of children with low literacy skills
- Mentoring of troubled youth
- Nurturing premature infants and children with physical disabilities or illnesses
- Increased sense of belonging and accomplishment for seniors
- Increased interaction and nurturing for children
- Stronger communities through cross-generational learning
- Respectful, positive relationships with caring older adults
To provide older Americans an opportunity to make a difference in the lives of over 6,500 disadvantaged children and young adults.
Although the Foster Grandparent Program has operated in Memphis since 1972, Porter-Leath has been the sole sponsor since 1985.