The year 1923 witnessed another change for the institution.  That same year, the Detention Ward, which operated as a small institutional hospital, was built.  This one-story brick building adjoined the north side of the original building and served as a hospital for some twenty-three years before closing in 1946.  It was reopened in 1953 as a dormitory, then closed again, and is now currently used as administrative offices for various programs.